Saturday, April 17, 2010

You Savvy?

When I was in trouble as a child, which was rather often as I was a curious girl who loved adventure, my Father would give me a stern talking too. He often could dissolve me to tears with a look alone. After my admonishment my father would always ask me, "savvy?"

I had no idea what 'savvy' was - I just knew that I needed to remorsefully nod my head and reply, "savvy Dad". He would then give my one of his loving bone crushing hugs and we would go happily on our way. I adored my Dad (and still do).

I of course I later learned that 'savvy' meant to comprehend or understand. My dad is from Northern England so he use to use all kinds of words that are not typically used in Canada.

Well 'savvy' took on a whole new meaning for me yesterday, although it is spelled 'SAVI'. This is a revolutionary new radiation therapy that will have plastic surgeons who do breast construction dancing in their scrubs and snapping their latex gloves across the OR with joy.

I told you a while back that a friend had calcification detected on her mammogram. She originally thought that it was
precancerous cells, but it turns out that it was not. She has had a lumpectomy and they are using a SAVI to deliver radiation to the localized site.

The SAVI Breast Brachytherapy Device, provides breast cancer radiation treatment from inside the breast.


This is why the Plastic Surgeons will be happy, because rather than having to deal with radiated breast tissue that ends up looking and feeling like a Rubbermaid bowl (flexible but tough), the tissue is saved from the effects of the treatment - only the lumpectomy cavity gets nuked.

This is so cool!!!! It is also quite new and not widely available. My friend, who I am now calling 'Jane the Conqueror' is fortunate to be living in Texas where it is available.

0 comments:

Post a Comment