Monday, April 5, 2010

Could it be stress?

In my last post I talk about confidence. I think confidence is about your perception of yourself and really has nothing to do with anyone else. Although, I often wonder if it was stress that eroded my confidence.

Just before (and following) diagnosis, I went through a lot of stressful life changing events.

Here is what some of the experts say say are the top causes of stress (the experts vary but they are generally similar):
  1. Death of a loved one
  2. Divorce
  3. Marriage
  4. Jail Term
  5. Injury or Illness
  6. Fired from job
  7. Retirement
  8. Financial problems
  9. Moving
  10. Buying a house

I went through a divorce, moved, lost my job, got sick, was running out of money, started a new relationship, moved again, got a new job, bought a house, moved one more time and had a young daughter to care for all through this.

When I realized what was on the list, I told my Dad he was not allowed to die. I was too young to retire. And incarceration was out of the question - that would have just tipped the cow.

I don't remember being stressed.

The job I ended up going into was for significantly less money than I had been making and was role I had been in 15 years earlier in my career. My director asked me why I would take a job like this when I had experience to get something much better.

I could only think of one thing to say, "I lost a marriage, I lost a job, I lost a breast and I lost my confidence".

I knew that I had to get it together. I had a little girl depending on me. Slowly the confidence came back. I am not sure how - perhaps pure suborn will. Maybe it was just survival.

When I say I am a survivor - I am not talking about breast cancer.


0 comments:

Post a Comment