Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What is your story?

I went to the opening of Cancer Connections yesterday. I was amazing. Each image was accompanied by a personal story. Some were funny. Some courageous. Others upbeat and happy. While a few where heart wrenching.

One of the speakers talked about who she was before cancer. She said she did not want cancer to define her. It is peculiar that when you ask a cancer survivor about their story they start at the diagnosis. I even did it starting this blog.

It reminded me of a chemo nurse I had. I used to call her Rhinestone Kate, because she loved to wear her glittery rhinestone encrusted glasses.

During my very first intravenous chemo treatment I watched the red drug slither through the clear tube, racing toward my fresh vein, and squeeze through the needle. I felt the initial burn as the drug bit into me and I went into a bit of a melt down.

The enormity of what was happening to me came to me in that fleeting second. Kate jumped in with, "So what is your story?" She did not mean my cancer story - that was sort of obvious - she meant my life story. It was also her way of keeping me distracted. We were laughing in no time at all.

I did have a life before cancer - a very interesting - full life. I still do. Don't forget your story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment