Thursday, March 25, 2010

Preoccupation

I have never paid much attention to breasts, other than my own as I would do a monthly breast self exam. It was not until I was diagnosed and had one of mine removed that I started to notice the breasts of other women. I was not noticing them in the aesthetic sense but rather in the clinical.

I knew the statistic that said 1 in 9 women would be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in her life time, so I would think, “does she get checked by her doctor, does she do breast self exams (BSE), does she get screening mammograms?”

Today, I would like each one of you reading this to call a female friend or relative and ask her, “when was the last time you did a breast self exam?” or if she is over 40, “when was the last time you had a screening mammogram?” If it has been awhile or never, encourage them to get a mammogram or to start doing BSEs.

If it has been awhile for you – please get preoccupied by your own breasts and learn how to do a BSE. Here is a link if you need help getting started. http://breastselfexam.ca/

Check yourself out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment