Friday, March 5, 2010

The 'Find'

As I mentioned in my first post – I am a survivor. Of course being a survivor means there is a story. Mine begins when I was 41. I actually did have a life before that age – which has it’s own interesting twists and turns but I’ll start with the ‘find’ today.

It was March 2003 and I had a visit with my doctor for my annual clinical breast exam and other various pokes and prods (you know girl stuff – this is when the guys all leave the room). As I was getting dressed she asked me if I wanted to go for my annual mammogram (I was entitled to one annually through our Government health care after 40).


I think I looked at her like she had a third eye because she said, “I can’t force you to go, but it is a good idea”. I hesitated and responded, “I don’t think so. I have no risk factors – no history - why waste the government's money. You didn’t find anything and I am pretty diligent at doing my own monthly breast self exam (BSE)” and I left the office feeling like a million bucks.

Life gets busy, but I always took time to do my monthly BSE. I knew the process – do the exam 10 days after the onset of your period – had the shower card with instructions. In May I was late doing my exam. It was day 14. As I soaped myself up and started my routine – there it was. A lump.


It was on the inner part of my right breast. It felt like one of those candy coated peanuts. It was hard. It didn’t move around under the skin. Hmmmm. I immediately recognized this was different from the typical lumps and bumps you find. I thought to myself, “well it is day 14 – I am ovulating and it is probably just hormones”. I decided to wait a couple of weeks.

Two weeks later it had doubled in size.

Back to the doctor. “Hey Doc – remember that mammogram you suggested?”

0 comments:

Post a Comment