Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Growing Old

The trees are in blossom here in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The crocuses are past and daffodils are all displaying their brilliant yellow. There is still the odd morning with frost on the windows, but Spring is in full swing. I love this time of year. People are emerging from the warmth of their homes, you get to re-meet your neighbours in the garden and generally the mood is optimistic and cheerful every where you go. The last couple of days have been filled with positive experiences on every front.

I was in a convenience store a couple of days ago, waiting in line and watching as an old gal shuffled to the cashier. She was struggling as she walked, arms filled with her purchases. She had eggs, milk,
hot dogs and a loaf of bread. This was likely the closest store to her home so she was doing her shopping.

She dipped her twisted fingers into her small change purse and pulled out a couple of crisply folded bills to pay for her things. She clutched the bills as if they were her last and I thought they probably are.

I asked the second clerk for a lottery ticket (always hopeful) and the women overheard, saying, “oh yes, I should check mine”. As I paid for my ticket, I heard the lottery machine chime the 'WINNER' song and the clerk announced to the old gal, “you have won $60!” The line up, which had grown substantially, erupted in cheers for the old gal. Everyone knew this was a big deal for her. It left me feeling very good.

Yesterday, as I stopped waiting for a red light to change, I saw a frail elderly women waiting to cross the street on the other side of the intersection. She waited, leaning on her cane, for the light to change. You could see her anxiety as she waited. She was afraid to cross.

My light turned green, I drove through the intersection and pulled over. I jumped out of my car, dashed across the street and offered the woman my arm. She looked up at me and beamed a toothy grin. All of the tension in her body disappeared as she took my arm and we stepped onto the street. I got her safely across, left her side and jumped back into my car.

As I drove away, I reflected on both of these women, playing forward my own life to when I am that old. Breast cancer robs some women of that image. The fear re-occurrence can be debilitating, keeps us focused on the disease and the ‘what ifs’. I am reminded that life is about living in the moment and enjoyed every breath we take. I will be old one day – I am certain of it.

Sharing positive karma.

0 comments:

Post a Comment