Saturday, January 29, 2011

Holy C_ _P - was that a truck or Chemo?

Well - lots of developments. Got my port-a-cath; they used staples to close the incision - I am thinking a couple of bolts in the neck and I will be good to go. I did not think anyone used staples anymore, they really do look prehistoric.

Ended up meeting the oncologist on Tuesday. Turns out I am unique (go figure - why can't I just have plain old cancer, why does it have to be fancy). I am in the 25% of the population who's cancer changes. My breast cancer was originally estrogen positive and HER2 positive. The cancer in my liver is still my original breast cancer and estrogen receptive but it has changed to HER2 negative. What they do not know is what is in the bones.

The bone cancer is in my hip, ribs, back, neck and scull. They will give me super duper bone strengthener as there is some proof that it helps to stop the cancer from spreading and reduces the chance of bone breakage.

I also got to start chemo last Thursday or as I like to say, I got to attend a cocktail party at the agency (sounds so much nicer). Unfortunately, the first chemo hit me like a ton of bricks - what not expecting that. Whew! Knocked me down a few notches - I was getting kind of cocky and pretending I was invincible. I think I better listen to my body and try to do a little less.

I cannot help but think of the women world wide and why the World Conference on Breast Cancer Foundation is so important. In less than one month, I have been diagnosed, my cancer categorized and I am into treatment. We are so blessed in Canada. We cannot forget that. We also cannot forget our sisters globally who need our voice.

The Conference is only 130 days a way. I want to be strong enough to raise my voice for others.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, Just want to let you know I am thinking of you - your words are inspiring and you have an amazing strength. Take Care, Kathleen

Post a Comment