Sunday, June 20, 2010

Buttercups

For what ever reason this last couple of weeks has been extremely busy for me (as you can tell from the absence of blog entries). I constantly feel rushed and under pressure.

My 12 year old daughter has a field hockey tournament this weekend. Normally we have enough players at our games to allow for regular rotation. Due to conflicting schedules we only have enough girls to make up a team. This means that the girls are running non stop from start to finish. Needless to say if I could remove a barrier to ensure that one the girls could make the game - I was going to.

Last night one of the girls was going to miss a game as she had to babysit her two year old sister. I offered to take the two year old and her sister (our player) to the game and back home again after. The deal was sealed. I picked up the girls and off to the game we went.

I had forgotten how much work a two year old is, and how much fun. My little charge was a little nervous with me because she does not know me well. She has seen me numerous times talking to her mom, but has always been quite shy. I decided to make her comfortable we would walk around the outside of the field so she could see her sister.

What an adventure. We turned over every rock, picked up every pine cone, piece of string, and twig. We pointed out birds, dogs, doggie doodoo deposits, and beautiful flowers for mommy (which fortunately were not in close proximity to each other).

By the time we were done we have a lovely bouquet of buttercups. For weeds they sure are pretty. It reminded me that I need to slow down and notice what is important. Like buttercups.

We made our way back to the stands and walked up and down the stairs over and over again. Soon the game was over and it was time to go. I am sure the little one slept very well last night. I did.

1 comments:

Lisa Tugnette said...

Thanks Kim, what a great story of a little girl and her buttercups on the first day of summer :)

Post a Comment