Monday, May 24, 2010

A world wide embrace for a special friend

Throughout our lives people come and go. They say that everyone who touches your life does so for a reason. Perhaps in that moment they need your strength or you need their theirs. I know there is a poem about it - I think it has something to do with the seasons - but I cannot remember it.

In any case, today's entry is for Lavonne. She is a very special woman who I met at the Young and the Breastless conference about six years ago. We kept coming across each other during various events. Every time we connected I knew she was someone I wanted in my life.

Even though Lavonne is very busy as a single mother (and now Grandmother) and career gal she still makes time to be very involved in breast cancer causes. She is our anchor runner on the Seek the Peak fundraising relay, has been a run captain in Kelowna for the Run for the Cure, is on an assortment of advisory committees and has just joined the World Conference on Breast Cancer as an ambassador for British Columbia.

Lavonne was going to be celebrating her 10 years cancer free this year. Unfortunately, she found a lump in the opposite breast. She is having it removed tomorrow. I have no doubt she will come through with flying colours because she is a fighter and thinks she found it really early.

I am asking that everyone who reads this blog post a comment on this entry to Lavonne - to send her your support and good wishes. Send the link to other women - let's create a world wide embrace.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lavonne - all the very best! You are in my thoughts and prayers - I look forward to working with you as we gear up for our 2011 WCBCF Conference!! Sincerely, Barb Eastman-Lewin, World Conference on Breast Cancer Foundation

Pam Depres said...

Lavonne,

You are a wonderful person! Thinking of you and looking forward to seeing you again in Hamilton at the 6th World Conference on Breast Cancer - June 2011!
Pam Depres, Winnipeg

Anonymous said...

Thoughts are with you, Lavonne. Kim, keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Lavonne - I don't know you - but I can imagine the stress. Keep strong and know that even strangers are rooting for you.

Anonymous said...

Be a bean Lavonne. Wishing the best for your results.

Stella Mazza said...

I'll be more than happy to bring the Sambuca Lavonne. Looking forward to meeting you at the upcoming conference.
Positive Energy is being blown your way.

Lisa Tugnette said...

Lavonne,

Hoping you receive quick test results with a positive outcome. Listen to your favourite music to calm your soul :) Lisa Tugnette, Kingston, ON

Kim Tempest said...

Very happy to report that Lavonne got clear margins and there was no lymph engagement. She is walking with a skip in her step.

Post a Comment