Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Breast cancer knowledge is a powerful tool

If you have not already registered for the 6th World Conference on Breast Cancer now is your chance. Just go to www.wcbcf.ca

This international conference will help to raise awareness and spread knowledge. Breast cancer knowledge is a powerful tool given many women and men affected by this disease, in some parts of the world, will not have access to timely services once the disease is in an advanced state. Identifying breast cancer early and knowing what to do is an important part of survival. You and others will share information and create long standing networks, while you learn about the newest research, lab developments and discoveries emerging worldwide. Don't miss this opportunity.

Update on your blogger (Kim Tempest pictured above with her daughter): Sorry I have been absent from the blog for awhile. It has taken a bit to get on track with treatments. As you probably know, I am at the cancer thing again, with metastatic breast cancer in my bones and liver. The good news is that the treatments I am on are working. The bad news is that they won't be able to completely get rid of it.

Interestingly enough I did not know that I was even at risk of bone metastases. I figured once I had done breast cancer the first time that was it. My treatments had been so aggressive I figured we had got it all. Turns out I am not alone. Many women who have been through breast cancer are unaware that if their cancer does re-occur that it will most likely come back in the bones. I, like others, also did not know that metastatic cancer in the bones also places me at greater risk of fractures which can lead to further complications. Who knew - you learn something every day. With this knowledge I am able to do things to reduce my fracture risk - like bone strengthening medications and exercise.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one of the strongest women I know next in line to my mother. My mother breast cancer twice. I was 17 the first time and I was devasted. I'm 54 now so you can put that in perspective - not a lot of medicallu proven treament. Radical mastectomy and radiation. She survived and an all clear for 5 years. Then the bomb drops again - it's back! Another radical mastectomy and more radiation. She looked like a road map now but wow, what a positive attitude, just like yours! She spent the next 36 years being grateful for every day and celebrating her 16 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. She passed at the age of 93. AMAZING WOMAN. We all can be her as I reflect on her life and her attitude. It's in us, it's in our hearts, it's in our souls and it's in our love. Our love for life, famly, values and it's in our strength. Kim, your strength mirrors what's in all of us - we just need to tap into it. Luv u!

Post a Comment